Do women study Torah?

Some of the strings on my Tallit are torn. Is it still kosher?

Library » Daily Life » Clothing » Tallit and Tzitzit | Subscribe | What is RSS?

When the fringes are originally placed on the corners of the garment, each corner must have eight complete strings. If, later on, some fringes become detached or shortened, the Tallit or Tzitzit may be invalid – in which case it would be forbidden to wear it. As long as each corner contains at least seven complete strings, the tzitzit are still Kosher, but the laws become quite complex if any one corner has more than one string which is detached or shortened. In such a situation, the tzitzit should be shown to a rabbi.

Mitzvot » Tallit and Tzitzit

Tallit
A prayer shawl. A large four-cornered woolen garment with fringes attached to its corners in a specific manner. This garment is worn by males during the morning prayers, fulfilling the Biblical obligation of attaching fringes to four-cornered garments.
Tzitzit
Literally: the fringes which are attached to four cornered garments, as Biblically mandated. Normally this word refers to a t-shirt sized four cornered garment which contains such fringes, and is usually worn beneath the shirt.