Is wearing tefillin only a custom of orthodox Jews?

Can I buy tzitzit from just anyone?

Library » Daily Life » Clothing » Tallit and Tzitzit | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The strings of the Tzitzit must be spun and twisted by a Jewish person who performed this task with the intention that these strings be used for the Mitzvah of tzitzit. It is impossible to know whether or not the strings were spun with this intention by inspecting the tzitzit, therefore a Tallit and tzitzit should always be purchased from a G-d-fearing and trustworthy individual.

Mitzvot » Tallit and Tzitzit

Tallit
A prayer shawl. A large four-cornered woolen garment with fringes attached to its corners in a specific manner. This garment is worn by males during the morning prayers, fulfilling the Biblical obligation of attaching fringes to four-cornered garments.
Tzitzit
Literally: the fringes which are attached to four cornered garments, as Biblically mandated. Normally this word refers to a t-shirt sized four cornered garment which contains such fringes, and is usually worn beneath the shirt.