When is "egg-checking" required?

I've lost enthusiasm in Judaism, how do I become inspired?

Library » Philosophy » Happiness | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Judith: I had a question about how to start to feel inspired again.

Judith: I've been Frum for several years, I learn as much as possible, but I've been feeling like I"m just going through the motions lately.

Rabbi Shlomo: ok

Judith: And I've been tempted by stuff that I thought was far behind me, which is pretty depressing.

Judith: Not succumbing to the temptation as of yet, but the fact that I could even entertain the possibility disturbs me.

Rabbi Shlomo: ok, let's set some facts streight :-)

Rabbi Shlomo: 1) Your situation is perfectly normal!

Judith: lol..okay

Rabbi Shlomo: 2) Temptation is part of life - you will never get rid of it. We can only control what we do with a particular temptation, but we can't control whether we should get it or not. That is part of the beauty of being human - facing challenges and overcoming them.

Rabbi Shlomo: 3) Once we've learned to be in control of our temptations the evil inclination gets upset. He used to send a temptation our way and we fell for it. Now he send one our way and we overcome it. So not only don't we fall, but we actually become stronger because of it. This bothers him. He doesn't like when we become stronger as a result of his doings.

Rabbi Shlomo: So he comes up with a very clever plan. It is a one word plan that is very effective: Depression

Rabbi Shlomo: If he can get us depressed he can accomplish many things. 1) G-d wants us to be happy. 2) When a person is depressed he lacks drive; without drive he cannot overcome or grow.

Rabbi Shlomo: So the Evil inclination tries to get us upset from the mere fact that we have temptations - but the truth is temptations are natural, and nothing to be upset about

Judith: i guess

Rabbi Shlomo: :-)

Judith: I miss feeling enthused about yiddishkeit, which is also part of the problem.

Rabbi Shlomo: ok - now let's deal with enthusiasm

Judith: ok

Rabbi Shlomo: enthusiasm naturally comes when something is new

Rabbi Shlomo: that is true with anything

Rabbi Shlomo: you might be ennthusiastic to drive a corvette, but if you owned one for three years, you wouldn't be that excited anymore

Judith: right

Rabbi Shlomo: the same is true with Judaism

Rabbi Shlomo: in order to keep being enthusiastic there are three things one can do:

Rabbi Shlomo: 1) Reminicse and recall some of the things and moments that originally inspired you

Rabbi Shlomo: 2) Explore new areas or topics of Judaism that you have not yet explored to keep Judaism new to you and a constant novelty

Rabbi Shlomo: 3) You can even explore deeper aspects of the topics and areas you are already familiar with. For example, you might keep Shabbat, but there is so much more to Shabbat that you may still explore

Judith: okay!

Judith: Thank you.

Judith: I really am not so terribly negative as I must've sounded tonight.

Rabbi Shlomo: my pleasure - feel free to come back to share your progress or to address new concerns if they should arise

Rabbi Shlomo: don't worry :-)

Rabbi Shlomo: your concerns are prefectly normal

Judith: thanks

Judith: kol tuv

Philosophy » Character

Frum
(Yiddish) Religious.