What is Jewish integrity?

How do I prepare the Shabbat candles for lighting?

Library » Shabbat » Candle Lighting | Subscribe | What is RSS?

In preparation for candle lighting, some have the custom to light the candles and extinguish them, thus charring the wicks and making it easier to light the candles at the time for candle lighting. In many households, this is the husband’s job—his share in this special Mitzvah.

If the candlesticks are placed on the table, the Challah or a prayer book should be placed on the table before the candle lighting and should not be removed until nightfall. Otherwise, the table cannot be moved for the duration of that Shabbat.

Women & Judaism » Women's Mitzvot » Candle Lighting

Challah
A loaf of bread. Usually refers to: 1) The section of dough separated and given to the priest (today that section is burnt). 2) The sweetened, soft bread customarily consumed at the Sabbath meals.