What is "kosher" salt? And why is it more kosher than other salts?

A discussion regarding partial observance of Mitzvahs and more

Library » Mitzvot » What are they? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Yocheved: my mother works for this organization thingy which helps educate non Frum [Ed. note: religious] women about yiddishkeit [Judaism] and sometimes women will come and say "i want to wear long sleeves [to properly observe the laws of modesty] but its difficult for me" and so my mother or whoever will say "ok so you can wear them once a week and then you can eventually, bz''h [with G-d's help], wear them everyday" and isnt that just giving ppl an excuse to wear un-aidel [immodest] clothing?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: you need to take everything in perspective. A girl who grew up knowing what Hashem wants from her is expected to behave a certain way. However when a person comes in off the street, it is hard for them to change their life in one minute! Therefore, rather then making them make the choice of all or nothing, you encourage them to take one step at a time

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: it is is sort of like a child who begins school.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: YOu don't begin school with 9-5 classes, mid terms and finals!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: You begin with a lot of play time and a little learning, then you have a little more learning and a little less play time etc. etc.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: until a child is old enough and ready for proper education

Yocheved: yes but the way they do it.. some women dont understand that its an everyday thing.. like there was this lady (not sure where she was from) but she would only wear a Sheitel [hair covering] on shabbos [Shabbat].. and i guess she thought that a sheitel was only for that one day.. how is that like a child?

Yocheved: that just seems like a really bad adult? who knows but doesnt do? or am i too young and inexperienced to understand?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: a child doesn't always mean one young in age - it can also mean one young in knowledge. After being in Galus [exile] for 2000 years many people are young in knowledge and then are not ready to "learn" all day - they need a little "learning" and a little "recess". With time, they will do more "learning" and less recess

Yocheved: i guess i understand what youre saying

Yocheved: but like it just seems like my mother and people who work with her are wasting their time if people arent 100% commited

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: not at all. Hashem doesn't say all or nothign. Each Mitzvah is precious in Hashem's Eye. Therefore each time we get a Yid [Jew] to do ONE mitvah it makes Hashem so happy!

Yocheved: ok but wearing long sleeves once a week is not a mitzvah

Yocheved: its just a little annoying that i keep all of these things every day and no one says "good job.. thats great" if its such a big deal if any of these women do something ONCE a week.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: AHA!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: so it is not really about them! It is about you :-)

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: but let me answer your first question first

Yocheved: except my mother told me that hashem says "good job.. great work" by allowing you to wake up in the morning but i dont understand/agree with that.

Mitzvot » Repentance
Holidays » Yom Kippur » Repentance
Mitzvot » Should I do them?

Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.
Frum
(Yiddish) Religious.
Daven
(Yiddish) Pray.
Sheitel
A wig (in Yiddish) worn by women after marriage to cover their hair for modesty purposes.