What is the procedure for one who must eat on Yom Kippur?

A discussion about various challenges facing the newly-observant Jew

Library » Mitzvot » What are they? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Gurkow: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

MM0566: Hi, do you answer more serious questions on this site? I have a problem that_s kinda big. Thank you.

Rabbi Gurkow: sometimes we are able to give our visitors more time than others

Rabbi Gurkow: at the very least we try to recommend someone that you might talk to or a book that you might be able to read

Rabbi Gurkow: fair enough?

MM0566: Thanks, this is big, but shouldn't take too long

Rabbi Gurkow: ok

MM0566: Here's the problem - in a nutshell, I grew up secular but am now trying to become more observant. This has not been necessarily easy, but I'm coming along with things like going to synagogue, doing Shabbat, Kosher, etc...(more in a sec)

Rabbi Gurkow: ok

MM0566: However, I've been looking at stuff on the Internet trying to learn more, and I've come across a lot of things that I thought would be good to read, but instead have taken a lot of the joy out of my life. Its mostly ORthodox stuff that says so many secular things are bad. For example, my education and career have been in marketing and entertainment, I enjoy reading sci-fi books and seeing movies, I like listening to rock music, etc. I have always tried to be ethical and never considered any of these things bad (I do have limits on things though - for example, I don't watch porno films or anything like that), and my secular JEwish and non JEwish friends do all this same stuff with no problem. But now I'm reading things that says all of this is bad, and whats more doing some of it is so bad that you don't go to the world to come if you do. Is this really true?

Rabbi Gurkow: I don't know the particulars of what you are reading, but let us learn to distinguish between bad and BAD

Rabbi Gurkow: the notion that one cannot go to the world to come is not very Jewish

Rabbi Gurkow: we believe in Teshuvah, and everyone can go to the world to come if they repent

Rabbi Gurkow: now there are some things that are BAD

MM0566: I know that!

Rabbi Gurkow: those are the things that are forbidden by Jewish law

Rabbi Gurkow: :-)

Rabbi Gurkow: then there are things that are simply bad but not BAD

Rabbi Gurkow: those are the things that are not forbidden by Jewish law but they do have a negative affect on us, say emotionally or spiritually or psychologically, they tend to influence us in ways that draw us away from our faith and our passion for Judaism

Mitzvot » Repentance
Holidays » Yom Kippur » Repentance

Teshuvah
Repentance. Or, more literally, "return" to G-d. Teshuvah involves regretting the past and making a firm resolution not to repeat the offense.