I pray daily for Moshiach, but I feel like we're not making any progress?

Where can I find a list of all the commandments of the Torah -- with their details?

Library » Mitzvot » What are they? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

1. We are commanded by the Torah to observe 613 commandments, 248 Positive commandments ("do"s) and 365 Negative commandments ("do not"s). These commandments were codified by several medieval scholars, and most famously by Maimonides in the Sefer Hamitzvot (Book of Commandments).

To see a brief description of all the mitzvahs, see What are the 613 Mitzvahs?. For a wonderfully written children's edition of this book click here. You can purchase a Sefer Hamitzvot (in English or Hebrew) at Eichlers.com, or click here to purchase cassettes on the Sefer Hamitzvot.

The 613 commandments were codified by several medieval scholars, and most famously by Maimonides in the Sefer Hamitzvot (Book of Commandments)
2. Aside for these Torah commandments, there are thousands of Rabbinic laws, injunctions and decrees which we must abide by. In order to really know how to live as a Jew one must study the Code of Jewish Law. Locate your local Chabad rabbi and join a class on Jewish law. We advise you to consider purchasing the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch (the abridged version of the Code of Jewish Law) also available at Eichlers.com.

Mitzvot

Posted by: Jonathan on Jan 30, 2005

As I understand it. these are commandments. Does this mean that G-d has commanded these rules? Also I have just read that a former Chief Rabbi has stated that it is forbidden to sing in the shower. What is the status of this prohibition? Is this a mitzvot?

1. Yes, these 613 commandments are derived fron the Torah -- G-d's word.

2. There are many Rabbinic decrees -- although I'm pretty sure that singing in the shower isn't one of them... For a better understanding of Rabbinic injunctions, see What exactly is the Oral Torah, and what's its connection to the Written Torah?

Maimonides
Moses son of Maimon, born in Spain in 1135, died in Egypt in 1204. Noted philosopher and authority on Jewish law. Also was an accomplished physician and was the personal doctor for members of the Egyptian royalty. Interred in Tiberius, Israel.