Am I allowed to adjust the fire on my stove on Yom Tov?

A Mitzvah creates a connection with G-d -- but how long does this connection last?

Library » Mitzvot » What are they? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The definition of time is that every act is limited to a certain time period. Something that happened -- happened; it is part of history, and something that will only happen in the future - is not a reality yet.

Time, however, is only a creation. G-d isn't limited by time and therefore in G-d's "world" (which is the ultimate truth) it can't be said that something "happened" or "will happen."

Therefore to our perception -- which is our reality -- a Mitzvah causes only a temporary connection with G-d. The truth, however is that every act, positive or negative*, is infinite.

* However, a negative act can be erased through Teshuvah. Conversely, a Mitzvah is never erased, no matter how many sins a person commits beforehand or afterwards.

Teshuvah
Repentance. Or, more literally, "return" to G-d. Teshuvah involves regretting the past and making a firm resolution not to repeat the offense.