What should I think of the "Bible Codes"?

Process of Illumination

by Mrs. Chana Weisberg

Library » Mitzvot » Should I do them? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The soul of man is a lamp of G-d. Proverbs 20:7 Like the candle, man is comprised of diverse elements, which determine the direction of his actions. The candle's wick, flame, and oil resemble the body, soul, and their spiritual vitality.

The soul, like the flame, blazes with yearning. It burns brightly within, inspiring the pursuit of holiness. It fiercely desires to tear itself free from physical reality and unite with its Source.

Yet, like the flame of the candle, the soul, having performed its celestial dance, falls back, returning to illuminate the world and leave its mark on physical reality. For only as it exists within a human being can the soul accomplish the purpose of its descent.

The body is likened to the wick of the candle. While imposing limitations, needs, and desires, the body also houses the soul and provides an outlet for its unique expression. The soul can only fulfill its purpose through the body’s senses; it can only understand its mandate with the body’s mind; and it can only fulfill G-d's commandments with the body’s limbs. It is the body that provides the means and opportunity for the soul’s relationship with creation.

The Torah, like the oil of the lamp, is the source for spiritual enlightenment, providing the direction for a meaningful life. Its commandments realize the potential to utilize our abilities and talents toward a G-dly end. Enlightening, pure and clear, like the oil, the Torah and its Mitzvot direct us to our ultimate purpose, imbuing humanity and creation with a brighter goodness and truer perspective, in harmony with the will of our Creator.

Mitzvot
Plural form of Mitzvah. Commandments of G-d. Mitzvah also means a connection, for a Jew connects with G–d through fulfilling His commandments.
Proverbs
One of the 24 books of the Bible. A collection of moral writings authored by King Solomon.