What gifts are appropriate for a Bar or Bat Mitzvah?

Do I have to listen to G-d? Why can't I do whatever I want to?

Library » Mitzvot » Should I do them? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

Does Hashem need or want anything? If so how do we know? Why do we have to do His commandmets? Why can't we just live our lives the way we want? I appreciate your site and insight! David M.

Answer:

Hashem wants things.

How do we know? He told us!

He came down onto Mt Sinai in front of 3 million people and told us what He wants. He then told them to write that down so that WE would know what He wants.

So, thanks to His Torah, we know exactly what He wants.

That is what He wants. That is what He created you for. To do what He wants.

If you want to do what YOU want, you can. No one will force you otherwise. But you will be neglecting the cause for your creation, and naturally you will have to experience the consequences of that neglect.

For example: If I gave you a plane ticket and $10,000 to go to Belgium and buy me a diamond necklace. You can go to Belgium and then decide, why should you do what I want, you will do what YOU want. And you want to spend the money on something else.

I can't stop you. But you will be stealing, and you will have to pay the consequence to that crime.

G-d paid for your plane ticket into this world. He gave you a lot more than $10,000. He gave you health, talents, and skills, so that you can fulfill His desires. He wrote those desires in the Torah, and gave THAT to you too!

Now go do whatever you want.

Mitzvot
G-d » Me and Him

Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.
David
King of Israel who succeeded Saul, becoming king of Israel in 876 BCE. Originally a shepherd, he became popular after he killed the Philistine strongman, Goliath. He is the progenitor of the Davidic royal dynasty -- which will return to the throne with the arrival of King Messiah.