Life is so short, who has time for daily living?

How is following the restrictive rules of the Torah "freedom"?

by Rabbi Eyal Rav-Noy

Library » Mitzvot » Should I do them? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The commandments—mitzvahs—come from the word tzavtah—connection. In other words, through the commandments, we connect with G-d.

That is true freedom.

Listening to G-d is a way of making a connection with Him. Doing so gives us freedom from our physical side of things. Did you ever see kids that have no rules in their house? No curfew, no bedtime, and so on. The poor kids are insane! They have no self-control, no discipline, and no responsibility. This is not freedom—it is slavery to our instincts. So no matter what, to be free you have to have some discipline and rules.