Why can't my observant sister stay with us for Shabbat?

Will being religious make it easier to be happy?

by Mrs. Sara Esther Crispe

Library » Mitzvot » Should I do them? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Any time anyone pursues a cure for happiness, happiness is probably about the last thing that person will find. Happiness is something that must come from within, and is the result of stability, both emotionally and spiritually. Being “religious” doesn’t mean much unless it is something that is completely integrated into every aspect of one’s life. It is one thing to externally follow rules and keep laws, but if they have no meaning and doesn’t affect one’s thought process, then it probably won’t permeate deep enough to affect one’s mental state from which happiness derives.

Simultaneously, it should not be de-legitimized that a religious lifestyle is definitely a means to enjoying a happy and fulfilling life. But it is not like a wonder drug. The reason that one could safely say that those leading religious lifestyles are more stable and happy people, is because the context of Jewish law, alongside the values and morals of the Torah, provide one with a healthy and stable framework. When people feel fulfilled, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually stimulated, then these same people would usually describe themselves as “happy.”

So it is not so much “being religious” that is the reason for one’s happiness, but rather the fact that religion requires belief, faith, and an understanding that everything happens for a reason and that there is a lesson to be gained from all situations. When our daily happenings become meaningful and nothing is left to chance, then we feel more relaxed and safe and can open ourselves up to the positive experiences around us. Only when we are scared and feel the need to protect ourselves, do we create borders and walls, and happiness has a hard time then finding its way in.

Thanks

Posted by: Anonymous on Dec 08, 2006

Great article- thanks

Philosophy » Happiness