Why is it forbidden to be intimate with a niddah?

Why don't Chassidic men shave?

by Rabbi Mendy Hecht

Library » Chassidism » Chassidic Behavior | Subscribe | What is RSS?

A. Negative Mitzvah #44 states that one should not shave. However, there is wiggle room in Halachah.

It is forbidden for a man to shave his face with a razor.1 There are a few electric shavers which some Halachic authorities permit using since they rule that their mechanism does not qualify as a razor.

Speak to your local Orthodox Rabbi to ascertain whether your shaving method meets the requirements of Halachah.

B. According to the Zohar, the beard is considered to be a channel of holiness and blessing and is therefore not to be shaven or trimmed by any method.

• 1. Leviticus 19:27.

Beard

Posted by: Elcin De Tokat, Istanbul, Turkey on Jul 05, 2005

What I understand from this is that it could be dangerous to shave one's face concerning cuts, not more than this. Also, as far as we know there is too much blood on the head (highest on brain) and in case of a cut, it will bleed too much.

1. Suggesting that shaving with a razor is dangerous is a bit out there... Millions of people shave with razors, and I have never heard of a person who has been seriously injured due to this practice. 2. If you look at the context of the verse in Leviticus, you will see that it is not talking about a prohibition which stems from safety concerns.

Mitzvot » Prohibitions

Halachah
Jewish Law. All halachah which is applicable today is found in the Code of Jewish Law.
Halachic
Pertaining to Jewish Law.
Zohar
The most basic work of Jewish mysticism. Authored by Rabbi Shimeon bar Yochai in the 2nd century.