Why did it take eight days to procure pure oil?

Could you refer me to books on Torah law as it is *currently* understood?

Library » Torah » Modifying Torah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Sarreta: I am studying the code of Maimonides, the Book of Women, and wondered if you could point me in the right direction for writers on the law as it is understood currentyl

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: I am not sure I understand what you are looking for

Sarreta: well a number of maimonides statments i would assume are not be considered jewish law now, and so i want to find out what the jewish law is on the subjects covered by the book of women

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: why would you assume they wouldn't be jewish law now

Sarreta: well for example their is a statment concerning the married status of a 3 year old and one day who has intercourse...

Sarreta: the understanding of when marriage can be entered into is different and i would assume are not kept post Temple,

Sarreta: but thought there might be other laws that are rabbinical, that maintain the spirit of these laws while the temple is not standing

Sarreta: but i wonder what is used instead or if these laws just dont apply at all today... i dont know who else that has written on the subjects since is concidered authoritve, and i want to gain an understanding of how the laws are actually put into practice today.

Sarreta: am i going down the wrong lines?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: ok

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: What maimonodies wrote still basically applies. If the case no longer exists, it doesn't mean the law changed, it simply means there is no need to excercise the law today

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: However there were many compilations written since maimonodies, and as a matter of fact in almost ever generation (or two) someone compiles the laws relevant to the customs of the times. So the laws don't change. The question is merely which ones are more relevant to todays practices and which ones aren't so relevant due to the scenario which leads to that law not happening today

Sarreta: so i suppose my question is what is the most recent compiliation of the law that is generally accepted

Sarreta: and yes i see what you mean

Sarreta: the law doesnt change but the way we apply it to a changing situation

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: yes, the law didn't change. The same law you will find in a book of today, you will find in a book of a thousand years ago. The only difference in the compilations is what laws (out of the many) do they choose to put in the book.

Maimonides
Moses son of Maimon, born in Spain in 1135, died in Egypt in 1204. Noted philosopher and authority on Jewish law. Also was an accomplished physician and was the personal doctor for members of the Egyptian royalty. Interred in Tiberius, Israel.
Rambam
Acronym for Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, widely known as Maimonides. Born in Spain in 1135, died in Egypt in 1204. Noted philosopher and authority on Jewish law. Also was an accomplished physician and was the personal doctor for members of the Egyptian royalty. Interred in Tiberius, Israel.