Where do I light my menorah?

Rabbi Schochet discusses the reason for most rabbinic prohibitions

Library » Torah » Modifying Torah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Schochet: I hope you are having a GREAT day today:) . . How can I make it even better?

Raquelle: ive heard that chicken was once parve...why is it not anymore?

Rabbi Schochet: because people could confuse chicken and meat.

Raquelle: you mean like if they receieved shnitzel..it could have been veal shnitzel but they would think it was chicken?

Raquelle: that kind of confused?

Rabbi Schochet: If they mixed chicken and milk, they might come to do the same with meat and milk.

Raquelle: ok...but that just shows that all that Halachah is doing is conforming to the realities of society...

Raquelle: and its not like it was written in the Torah that chicken is meat...it was just CHANGED by the rabbis...

Rabbi Schochet: Rabbinic law can in fact take under consideration elements that are prevelant in society and then put place guards to make sure that TORAH law is not broken due to these nuances.

Rabbi Schochet: Let's use an analogy that should help you understand the idea.

Rabbi Schochet: When you go to the subway, have you been on one recently?

Raquelle: yes

Rabbi Schochet: And it is my understanding there is a place for trains and a place for people?

Rabbi Schochet: I mean you don't wait for the train on the tracks, right?

Raquelle: right :)

Rabbi Schochet: And the train doesn't drive on the platform, right?

Raquelle: right...

Rabbi Schochet: So each have their own distinctive boundries that don't interfere with each other and hurt each other, right?

Raquelle: right....... (i'm curious to see where this on eis going ;) )

Rabbi Schochet: (patience is a virtue!)

Rabbi Schochet: now my question is, why is it that all subway stations have a yellow line (or other type of recognition mark) that's about 1 foot away from the edge of the platform, which is there to warn people to stand back behind the yellow line?

Raquelle: so that everyone understands not to cross the line or they might get hurt...

Raquelle: or so that they wont get pushed onto the tracks by crazy people

Rabbi Schochet: But if you do cross the yellow line, but don't lean over into the track, will the train travel on that little strech of platform?

Raquelle: no...

Rabbi Schochet: So you won't get hit, right?

Raquelle: right...

Rabbi Schochet: Yet you shouldn't because it's dangerous?

Raquelle: well really you CAN stand there and not get hurt...the subway stations just put the lines so they wont be liable... BUT....ok..no you shouldnt because its 'dangerous'

Rabbi Schochet: So let's reexamine something

Raquelle: ok...

Rabbi Schochet: The train goes on the tracks, people stand on the platform. It makes NO difference where on the platform you stand, even on the very edge, you will not be hit by the train. Yet there are "saftey zones" about a food wide that you should keep to and stand back when the train is approaching, correct?

Raquelle: right...

Rabbi Schochet: Would it be safe to say that the yellow line is a buffer zone so to speak, it's an extra precautionary measure that can save people just in case (say someone bumped into you by mistake, or any other crazy scenario)?

Raquelle: ok...

Rabbi Schochet: Makes sense?

Raquelle: yeah i got it....

Rabbi Schochet: Well then let's tackle our issue.

Rabbi Schochet: The Torah tells you to do X Y Z

Raquelle: right

Rabbi Schochet: However the Rabbis realiZed that if you can get to the edge of the platform you might cross over and transgress XYZ, so they created yellow lines and buffer zones to keep people safe.

Raquelle: like chicken...

Rabbi Schochet: That too.

Raquelle: ok...got it...thank you SO much...sorry i took up so much of your time...i really appreciate your help!!

Rabbi Schochet: It's my pleasure.

Raquelle: layla tov!!

Raquelle: :)

Halachah
Jewish Law. All halachah which is applicable today is found in the Code of Jewish Law.