Why can't I be a Kohen?

Whose Torah is it Anyway?

by Rabbi Lazer Gurkow

Library » Torah » Modifying Torah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

“Rabbi, the Torah was written so many years ago. Its laws were never intended for the modern age, for people of modern technology and enlightenment.” This pearl of wisdom was last dropped in my lap several weeks ago during a discussion about Torah and its laws.

I explained that the Jewish view of G-d transcends the constraints of time. This does not only mean that G-d would have considered our present age when he gave the Torah to our ancestors, but that G-d exists in a dimension that wraps the past, present and future into a single time warp that transcends its own limitations.

Confusing as it sounds, we believe that G-d was actually living in the future when he gave the Torah to our ancestors. The laws of Shabbat, Kosher and others were given by G-d to us in the present as much as they were given to our ancestors in the past. They were intended for all generations, including ours of modern technology and enlightenment.