What is the procedure for blessing children on Friday night?

How do we know that Judaism is correct when there are many other religions?

Library » Torah » Torah's Divine Origins | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Sruli: How do we know Hashem is the only true G-d when there are thousands of cultures that had their own gods they believed in and when some Torah stories are similar to other cultures stories

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: so what exactly is your question - how do we know our story is true, or how do we know their story is not, or if we have similar stories what is different about ours?

Sruli: How do we know ours is true when there are so many others.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: well I will tell you two basic differences. 1) Ours has withstood the test of time and space. There is no other religion that has withstood such a long time in so many different places and is still the same today - truth is not subject to a time or a place - and as such Judaims proves to be true

Sruli: What about hinduism?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: it is not proven to have been around so long - there in not nearly as much writings about ancient hinduism as about ancient Judaism. Secondly it didn't stand the test of space - until very very recently it was only in a few select places of the world

Sruli: Until golus [Ed. note: exile] we were in in the middle east.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: I still didn't finish my second point :-)

Sruli: ok

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: but to answer your question - a) we were all over the middle east, in almost every inhabited country of the time. b) golus is for close to two thousand years already - that is a long time for a trial period

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: but let me finish my original thought first

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: 2) Judaism is the only religion that didn't start with a single individual who claimed he had a revelation then attracted a following. In Judaism all the Jewish people - some three million - witnessed the beginning of the religon at the revelation of sinai1

Sruli: Wasn't Avraham the first Jew?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: Avraham was the first Jew in the FAMILY or PEOPLE of Jews. But at the time they were only a people who had a belief. The Religion began with the giving of the Torah at SInai

Sruli: How do we really know Sinai happened is there archaeology that supports it?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: no there isn't. The biggest proof that Sinai happened is the fact that the story has been told exactly the same to millions of people - i will give you agreat article to read about that - hold on let me find it

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: the article can be found be clicking the following link http://www.askmoses.com/qa_detail.html?h=416&o=399

• 1. See for example Exodus 19:9,11 20:15,19

3 million

Posted by: Benyamin Finn on Nov 13, 2006

I know the census was only for a part of the Jews but the census gives us 600,000. It would be reasonable to assume well over a million perhaps up to 2 million but I cannot see 3 million. Does Jewish belief include 3 million or was this just an example?

Three million is a rough estimation, taking into account the 600,000 males between the ages of 20 and 60 in addition to the other age groups + women and children, (with an average age span of +/- 120 years).

G-d » Belief in G-d

Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.