Were the Days of Creation 24 hour periods?

Can I study scripture without tradition?

Library » Torah » Torah's Divine Origins | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Eliezer G: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

Fay: How can I learn more about judiam, but not from man - from scripture

Rabbi Eliezer G: a man once came to Hilel, the talmudic sage, and told him I want to study from scripture, but not from man

Rabbi Eliezer G: Hilel said, what can I, a man, do for you?

Rabbi Eliezer G: the man said, teach me to read Hebrew

Rabbi Eliezer G: Hilel agreed

Rabbi Eliezer G: the first day Hilel taught him four letters

Rabbi Eliezer G: the first was aleph the second beis the third gimmel and the fourth daled

Rabbi Eliezer G: the next day Hillel reviewed the first lesson with him:

Rabbi Eliezer G: the first letter is daled the second is gimmel the third is beis the fourth is aleph

Rabbi Eliezer G: the fellow objected

Rabbi Eliezer G: that's wrong he said; yesterday you taught me in the reverse!

Rabbi Eliezer G: ah, said Hilel

Rabbi Eliezer G: so you see?

Rabbi Eliezer G: there is no way for you to learn the scripture if you are not willing to accept the teaching of a man

Rabbi Eliezer G: ultimately, we know the letters of the alephbet from tradition

Rabbi Eliezer G: and to know that we are reading correctly we must assume that the tradition is correct

Rabbi Eliezer G: which is why Hillel's answer is relevant to your question too

Rabbi Eliezer G: there is no way to learn scripture without learning from man

Rabbi Eliezer G: the Torah is based on the integrity of the tradition

Rabbi Eliezer G: without our tradition we have nothing

Rabbi Eliezer G: we dont even know if the torah we are reading today is what G-d gave moshe

Rabbi Eliezer G: unless we trust that the tradition is true

Rabbi Eliezer G: this is why Jews have guarded the tradition with their lives

Rabbi Eliezer G: the integrity of the torah's tradition from generation to generation is crucial to the survival of Judaism

Rabbi Eliezer G: this is why Jews trust tradition

Rabbi Eliezer G: because Jews know that their forbearers would die rather than change the tradition

Rabbi Eliezer G: and Jews today stand ready to do the same

Fay: THank you you have been most helpful.

Torah » Mishnah and Talmud
Torah » The Bible » About