Why does G-d allow bad things to happen to good people?

How do you know the Torah is really the word of G-d?

Library » Torah » Torah's Divine Origins | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

You seem to only think what you are told. I.e. your teacher told you to believe the bible, and the bible told you to believe (in) G-d. So all you can do is say in the bible G-d said this and G-d said that. But how do you know there really is a G-d, or that He actually gave the Jewish people the Torah at Mount Sinai?

Answer:

Your question was transferred to me because I don't know things because I was told. I don't believe what I am told. I ask questions.

I am a skeptic, and I don't believe things until it can be backed up.

Do I need to see everything?

No!

I don't need to see everything because some things can't be seen (like feelings, radio waves, objects far away, or things of the past), and even what can be seen, I don't necessarily have the time or desire to look for it.

here is a story being told by millions of people about millions of people.
So how is it backed up?

Scientifically.

In science when you want to test the authenticity of something you subject it to variances. The more variances it withstands the more likely it is to be correct.

So if you have a theory, for example, that smoking causes long cancer, you apply (or observe) smoke in a variety of lungs.

If you only test the lungs of white males between the ages of 20 and 30 you can't be sure that smoke is causing the cancer, it might be something else about whites, males, or 20 to 30 year olds etc.

But when you observe smoke in the lungs of multiple races, both genders and a wide variety of ages, you can be pretty sure with the results of your test.

It is this method of variances that I use to back any thing up.

If you tell me a certain car is a good car, I want to know it what conditions you tested it. If you tell me a certain computer is good, I want to know how many programs you tried with it. I also want more than just your opinion. How many other people share this view?

And if you tell me something happened, I want to know how many people witnessed it, what type of people, and are they all telling the same story.

Passover
A Biblically mandated early-spring festival celebrating the Jewish exodus from Egypt in the year 1312 BCE.
Tefillin
Black leather boxes containing small scrolls with passages of the Bible written on them. Every day, aside for Sabbath and Jewish holidays, the adult Jewish male is required to wrap the Tefillin--by means of black leather straps--around the weaker arm and atop the forehead.
Seder
Festive meal eaten on the first two nights of the holiday of Passover (In Israel, the Seder is observed only the first night of the holiday). Seder highlights include: reading the story of the Exodus, eating Matzah and bitter herbs, and drinking four cups of wine.
Joseph
Firstborn son of Rachel and Jacob. Because he was Jacob's favorite son, his brothers conspired against him and sold him into slavery He ended up in Egypt where he became viceroy of the land, and eventually brought his entire family to Egypt. Died in 1451 BCE.
Daniel
1. A Jerusalemite exiled in Babylon after the destruction of the 1st Temple. He interprets dreams, gives accounts of apocalyptic visions, and is divinely delivered from a den of lions. 2. One of the 24 Books of the Bible, which describes the events of Daniel's life.