What are the numeric equivalents of the Hebrew letters?

What are the thirteen Principles of Faith?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Torah » G-d's Wisdom | Subscribe | What is RSS?

The Jewish faith has many laws, traditions, beliefs, etc. But there are thirteen principles upon which the whole of Judaism stands.

To use a mundane example, think of baseball. There are many intricate rules and strategies in the game. But in order to play on the most elementary level there are a few basics without which you cannot play.

Judaism’s basics are encapsulated in what are called the Thirteen Principles. These were composed by Maimonides, one of the greatest Jewish scholars of all time. Some Jews have the custom of reciting these principles everyday after the morning service. These principles are also expressed in the famous synagogue prayer “Yigdal.”

Here they are:

1. That the Creator creates and controls everything. He alone has made, is making, and will make all things.
  2. That the Creator is one. There is no other unity like His. He alone is our G-d. He was, He is, and He will always be.
  3. That the Creator is not a physical being. Physical concepts do not apply to Him. Nothing at all resembles Him.
  4. That the Creator is without beginning and without end; He precedes all existence.
  5. That it is proper to pray only to the Creator. It is not proper to pray to anything else.
  6. That the Creator communicates through His prophets.
  7. That the prophecy of Moses was true. He was the chief of all prophets, both before and after him.
  8. That the entire Torah (both Oral and Written), which we now have is that which was given to Moses.
  9. That the Torah will not be changed. The Creator will not give another Torah.
  10. That the Creator is aware of all of man’s deeds and thoughts.
  11. That the Creator rewards those who keep His commandments and punishes those who disobey His commandments.
  12. That the Messiah will come. Even though he will delay, every day I will expect his arrival.
  13. That the dead will be brought back to life. The Creator will decree the time for this awakening.

Judaism- General

Posted by: Amy, Brisbane, QLD, Australia on Apr 08, 2005

you have a very informative site here, and you have helped me a lot in getting to know judaism better. as a christian i respect your beleifs and i thankyou for not slandering anyone's faith on this site. some people can be very biased and its hard to gain information that comes from a neutral standpoint. though i know, as ken ham stated: that there is no such thing as being unbiased. atheists are biased in the way they beleive there is no God, and christians are biased in beleiving there is a God. keep continuing this great site! God bless!

@:) Amy

homework

Posted by: Clayton, Des Moines, IA on Aug 30, 2005

hey moses.com,

it's really cool to find a site w/ so much information. even thought the internet is filled with sites that could have probably helped me with my homework, ure site was really clear and had the exact subtopics that i was looking 4. thanx again!

Your Ask Moses Site

Posted by: Anonymous, Las Vegas, NV on Feb 15, 2006

I have asked you two questions since learning of your site. You have answered them to my satisfaction both times. I am a 75 year old Jewish woman and sadly I wasn't very good at practicing it..suddenly I am becoming much more interested in learning about what it means to be Jewish, so thanks to your website, I am now able to...G-d bless you for being there for me.

Norma

Jewish Assignment

Posted by: Anonymous, Auckland, New Zealand on Jun 14, 2006

I would like to congratulate you on having such an imformative site and have scholars that are interactive and not just a computer generated answer!!!

Thank You Again

And Good Luck For The Future

Philosophy » Messiah
Israel » Messiah
G-d » Belief in G-d

Maimonides
Moses son of Maimon, born in Spain in 1135, died in Egypt in 1204. Noted philosopher and authority on Jewish law. Also was an accomplished physician and was the personal doctor for members of the Egyptian royalty. Interred in Tiberius, Israel.