How could Abraham be the first "Jew"?

What is the best book on the market nowadays about G-d?

by Rabbi Yisrael Rice

Library » G-d » What is G-d? | Subscribe | What is RSS?

It depends on who the reader is. If they want to reconcile science and G-d, there are books on that; if they want to forge a relationship with G-d, there are books on that; and if they have their minds all made up about G-d--there are books on that too!

For starters, If You Were G-d by the late Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan is a good booklet. For more profound, deeper material, you’d wanna take a look at the Tanya by Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Liadi, section entitled: sha'ar hayichud v'ha-emunah (the Portal of Unity and Faith), available from kehotonline.com or your local Judaica store. Finally, try the classic Guide to the Perplexed, by Maimonides--also available in several fine translations from your local Judaica store.

Those are books strictly on G-d. For all-around inspiration, however, may I shamelessly suggest two books by our very own Tzvi Freeman? They are:

Bringing Heaven Down To Earth from Adams Media (800-872-5627 sales:x5103). Or order online from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1580621945/; and the sequel

Be Within, Stay Above; (read/order at https://secure.chabadonline.com/Forms/Freeman/be_within_order.asp).

All the best,

Rabbi Yisrael Rice

Best book on G-d

Posted by: Eduardo, Guatemala, Guatemala on Apr 22, 2006

I still think the best book and set of books on G-d is the Torah...

best book

Posted by: Anonymous on Jun 10, 2006

Best book about G-d? The Bible, its G-d`s own word about G-d.
Maimonides
Moses son of Maimon, born in Spain in 1135, died in Egypt in 1204. Noted philosopher and authority on Jewish law. Also was an accomplished physician and was the personal doctor for members of the Egyptian royalty. Interred in Tiberius, Israel.
Tanya
Foundation text of Chabad chassidism. Authored by Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi, founder of the Chabad movement, and first published in 1796. Considered to be the "Bible" of Chassidism.
Yisrael
1. Additional name given by G-d to Patriarch Jacob. 2. A Jew who is not a Kohain or Levi (descendant of the Tribe of Levi).