Does a married woman need to cover her hair in the privacy of her home?

Does it really matter to G-d what we do?

by Mrs. Sarah Levi

Library » G-d » A Caring G-d | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Great question!

On the one hand, G-d Himself testifies in the Torah:1 "I am G-d, I have not changed." Meaning, Creation in no way alters or affects G-d, and He remains the only True Being in existence. In plain English, then, it doesn't matter to G-d what we do--we have no effect on Him.

On the other hand, we see that G-d created a physical world, and gave His preeminent creation (the human) a whole Torah-full of rules and regulations. These commandments, known in Hebrew as Mitzvahs, include all types of rituals, and legislate all ethical and moral areas of life. It seems then that it matters very much to G-d what we do--and say and think, too. After all, if G-d had no need for a world full of people, then why did He create one?

...After all, if G-d had no need for a world full of people, then why did He create one?
Which way is it?

G-d is not changed by what we do, but chooses to care about what we do. He didn't NEED a world which would ultimately be perfected by something called Man, but He wanted one. (Why? That's another question. See Why did G-d create the world?) And to perfect the world, Man needed a manual. That's the Torah and Mitzvahs.

This fact is a great motivator to the individual faced with the opportunity of fulfilling a divine commandment. G-d has chosen to make his actions matter, and therefore, fulfilling that commandment (even though it may take effort or even a financial obligation) is one small step towards perfecting the world. Also, the word Mitzvah means "connection." Every time we do a Mitzvah, we enhance our connection with the Source of our lives. Fulfilling the commandments are indeed the best thing in the world for us, even though (or perhaps especially because) we cannot necessarily discern the immediate benefit.

So, yes, it does matter to G-d what we do--let's not let Him down!

• 1. Malachi 3:6

Mitzvot » Should I do them?