What is the Jewish view on repentance?

How do I convince an admitted atheist that there is a G-d?

by Rabbi Moshe Miller

Library » G-d » Belief in G-d | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Belief always demands a certain commitment to be willing to believe. Yes, there are logical arguments proving that G-d exists (argument by design and others), but ultimately a person has to be willing to consider belief in G-d as an option.

The “scientific” approach taught in most schools today is probably partly to blame for the stigma of belief. We have been taught that science has an answer to everything and can explain everything logically or will soon be able to do so. So who needs G-d? G-d is for the stupid, frightened and uneducated - that is the prevailing “scientific” approach. In other words science basically rejects belief as an option.

The reality is that science also maintains beliefs and axioms that have not and probably cannot be proven. Just one example: Science says that the universe was formed by the Big Bang. Well, this is what NASA says about the Big Bang: Although the Big Bang Theory is widely accepted, it probably will never be proved; consequentially [sic], leaving a number of tough, unanswered questions. "The Big Bang Model rests on two theoretical pillars".1 (See http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/bb_theory.html for more2).

Additionally, what was it exactly that exploded? The popular theory goes like this. In the beginning, all the energy of the Universe was squeezed into a ball the size of a pinhead. The Universe began with a tremendous explosion, creating matter out of pure energy as it expanded. But where did this pure energy come from? No answer. So scientists believe in pure energy and I believe in G-d.

I think that the main cause for a lack of belief in G-d is a lack of understanding of the meaning of G-d. For many, G-d is still defined on the 2nd grade level. I don’t believe in such a G-d either. It is important to engage in in depth study of Chassidic philosophy and Kabbalah in order to get a proper understanding of what is this G-d that we believe in. Only with such knowledge can one make an educated decision of whether s/he believes or not.

the main cause for a lack of belief in G-d is a lack of understanding of the meaning of G-d.
Without serious study one can't say 'I don't believe'; only 'I don't know'.

(Contact your local Chabad center for a class on Chassidic philosophy and Kabbalah in your area.)

• 1. Emphasis added by editor.
  • 2. The link provided by the author no longer works. The link in place is a substitute link.

Chassidic
(Pl.: Chassidim; Adj.: Chassidic) A follower of the teachings of Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov (1698-1760), the founder of "Chassidut." Chassidut emphasizes serving G-d with sincerity and joy, and the importance of connecting to a Rebbe (saintly mentor).
Kabbalah
Jewish mysticism. The word Kaballah means "reception," for we cannot physically perceive the Divine, we merely study the mystical truths which were transmitted to us by G-d Himself through His righteous servants.