Why are orthodox Jews so strict about boys and girls not mingling?

What is faith?

Library » G-d » Belief in G-d | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Faith is sort of a sixth sense. It is the feeling of knowing something even though you can’t touch or understand it.

It usually comes as a result of reason. But reason will only take you so far. Since it is your reasoning, and you are limited, the reasoning will have to stop at some point.

At this point the skeptic reaches a dead end. He is trapped by his own ego. That which he thinks makes him so big is in reality keeping him so small. He could really know; if only he didn’t think that he already does.

The faithful, on the other hand, uses this moment as a portal between his universe and the world of the infinite. He thinks: “I have reached my limits, it is time to reach beyond my limits.”

Faith means knowing that regardless of what your five senses tell you, regardless of the limited capabilities of your mind to understand, there is a sixth sense that tells you, you are not alone
Look at it through the eyes of a child:

A child walks into a room and her mother is not there. All of her senses tell her that mother is not there. Reason tells her that mother is not there.

The child who relies only on her five senses and limited reasoning comes to the conclusion that mother is gone forever.

The child who taps into her sense of faith, however, “knows” mother wouldn’t leave her forever.

She can’t see, smell, feel, hear, or talk to mother. She can’t understand why mother would be anywhere else but here. But she has faith that mother will be here shortly. Because she knows, through knowledge beyond her understanding, that mother would never leave her.

Faith means knowing that regardless of what your five senses tell you, regardless of the limited capabilities of your mind to understand, there is a sixth sense that tells you, you are not alone.

[For more information about faith, read “Toward a Meaningful Life” by Simon Jacobson – specifically the chapter on “Faith and Reason.”]