Is it up to me or up to G-d?

What should I do on Shabbat?

Library » Shabbat » A Day of Rest | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

My stepfather wants to know if he can play with tools and generators on the Sabbath? Or what is he as a engineer to do on the Sabbath? Much obliged, Wyoming

Answer:

What a great question.

Your question tells us exactly why we need Shabbat, and how we should be on Shabbat.

You see, your question is all about doing: and that's the problem. We have too much doing, not enough being.

You ask "what should he do", the real question is "how should he be". Or you say "he is an engineer", but really "he is a human"; engineer is what he does, not who he is.

That's why G-d gave us Shabbat. Shabbat is about being.

See the following links and you will understand Shabbat:

What is Shabbat? and How is Shabbat celebrated? 

P.S. It is forbidden to use tools and generators on Shabbat. 

Shabbat » Forbidden Activities