What's the connection between the High Holidays and Sukkot?

How can I stop working on Shabbat, my busiest day?!

by Rabbi Tzvi Freeman

Library » Shabbat » A Day of Rest | Subscribe | What is RSS?

You’re born into this world and your time is limited. While here, the major decision you’ll make is "Who’s in charge?"

You can decide that the world is in charge. It sets the rules, and it’s big and scary. You’ll try to get as much as you can out of it without getting burnt too badly. But unfortunately, you’ll have to work on Shabbat—that’s one of the rules.

"I left some of this world for you to fix up. Give it a try and do your best. I’ll be there to help you."
Or you can decide that you’re in charge. Who knows, you may win. But there’s going to be some stiff competition—a few billion people out there think the same thing.

The third alternative is to decide that the One Who Made This Place is in charge. You’re just here as His rep. He says, "I left some of this world for you to fix up. Give it a try and do your best. I’ll be there to help you."

Now, this Big and Awesome G-d you’re working for isn’t planning to make things easy. You can bet on it that He’ll throw a few mighty challenges along your path. How else is He going to get you to put your all into it? But you can also rest assured that He’s on your side every step along the way. And He’s in charge. 100%.