What is Shacharit?

Does reading Chinese fortune cookie messages transgress a Biblical prohibition?

by Rabbi Moshe Miller

Library » Miscellaneous » Astrology and Magic | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Indeed, there is a prohibition against using soothsayers and fortunetellers: "You shall follow God with perfect faith [and not] hearken to astrologers and diviners (Deuteronomy 18:13-14).

However, I doubt that anyone takes fortune cookies seriously. People only read them for entertainment. If this is so, then you have nothing to worry about. However, if you do take them seriously then you should not read them. (But you can still eat the cookie, as long as it is Kosher ;)

Deuteronomy
The fifth of the Five Books of Moses. This book is a record of the monologue which Moses spoke to the Israelites in the five weeks prior to his passing.