What is a miracle?

Is it rabbinically mandated that we eat oily foods on Chanukah?

Library » Holidays » Chanukah » The Customs | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Gurkow: Welcome to the Rabbi's one on one chat room, how can I help you today?

Misha: Is it rabinically mandated that we eat some type of oily food on Chanukah? Is it a custom that is now mandated?

Rabbi Gurkow: it is a custom, but not mandated

Misha: Customs can become mandated if rabbis tells so?

Rabbi Gurkow: yes, but this did not

Misha: Ok, thank you very much for your response.

Rabbi Gurkow: your welcome

Misha: Have a great day, and a Shabat shalom

Rabbi Gurkow: and you too

Chanukah
An eight day mid-winter holiday marking: 1) The miraculous defeat of the mighty Syrian-Greek armies by the undermanned Maccabis in the year 140 BCE. 2) Upon their victory, the oil in the Menorah, sufficient fuel for one night only, burned for eight days and nights.