How many years did the Jews spend in Egypt?

Why do we give a *half* Shekel to charity?

Library » Holidays » Purim » Fast of Esther | Subscribe | What is RSS?

It is customary to give Machatzit Hashekel - a half shekel (or half dollar etc.) - to charity on the Fast of Esther.1  

In the times of the Holy Temple the Half Shekel went to G-d, i.e. the Temple coffers. Today the Half Shekel we give to charity goes to a needy person. We give money to charity because we are not "independent" people. Every Jewish soul is part of a mega-soul which includes the soul of all Jews of all times. We are all one. When someone throws a rock at your chest your hand automatically moves to protect the chest by intercepting the rock. Not because the hand is doing a “favor" to the chest, but because they are both part of one body.

I am giving charity to the pauper because without him I am not complete
So too, when one Jew is in need the other Jews assists because they are both one. This is symbolized by the "Half" Shekel. I am giving charity to the pauper because without him/her, I am not complete. Similarly, we give to G-d -- i.e. the synagogue or Yeshiva -- recognizing that we are not complete without G-dlinss and spirituality in our lives.

See also  What is the Machatzit Hashekel? and Why do we give a Machatzit Hashekel on the Fast of Esther?

• 1. See links at the bottom of aritcle.

Yeshiva
(Pl.: Yeshivot) Religious school which teaches Jewish studies. Most Yeshivot offer secular studies too.
shekel
(pl. Shekalim) Currency used in ancient Israel. [Modern Israeli currency also carries the same name.]
Machatzit Hashekel
Half a Shekel (ancient Jewish currency). When the Holy Temple stood in Jerusalem, every Jewish man was required annually to donate half a silver Shekel to the Temple coffers.