What is the Jewish view on farming?

What exactly is prohibited during the Omer mourning period?

Library » Holidays » Counting the Omer | Subscribe | What is RSS?

During the days of mourning it is forbidden to:

1. Get married.1

2.  Take a haircut or shave. [A practicing rabbi should be consulted if one feels that his livelihood could be affected if he does not shave.]2

3.Wear a significant new garment (aside for Shabbat).3

4. Recite the Shehecheyanu during the weekdays (unless you are Sephardic).4

5. Listen to music.5

[Ed. note: Askmoses offers general Jewish information; our information doesn't preclude the possibility for other customs.]

• 1. Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 120:6
  • 2. ibid 120:6; a woman may take a haircut before going to mikvah
  • 3. According to Chabad custom, the blessing Shehechiyanu may only be blessed on Shabbat and Lag B'Omer, Sefer HaMinhagim Chabad, pg. 42
  • 4. See previous footnote
  • 5. Igrot Moshe Vol. 1, ch. 166

Live music or recorded

Posted by: Anonymous on Apr 28, 2005

I have been told by a couple of people that the prohibition to listen to music during the counting of the omer pertains only to live music and not necessarily prerecorded music. Please clarify this for me.

Thank you

Recent Halachic authorities prohibited, in addition to live music, also radio and recorded music (Igrot Moshe, Orach Chaim 1:166). Some prohibit acappella music as well (Tzitz Eliezer 15:33).
Shehecheyanu
A blessing recited on joyous occasions. The blessing thanks G-d for "sustaining us and enabling us to reach this occasion."
Sephardic
(adj.) A Jew whose ancestors stem from Southern Italy, Spain, Portugal, North Africa or the Arabian countries.