Why isn't Yom Kippur observed for two days outside Israel?

How do I dispose of a Kipah or Tzitzit?

Library » Daily Life » Clothing » Kippah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: Bienvenidos Welcome. Un minuto , ya lo atiendo. I'll be with you in a moment...

Rabbi Yossi Turk: hi

Jewboy: hi

Jewboy: i have 2 questions

Jewboy: firstly, is one permitted to throw out his Yarmulka?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: you mean the one on your head?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: or an old one?

Jewboy: either or

Jewboy: assuming throwing it out wont mean i have nothing on my head

Rabbi Yossi Turk: ok

Rabbi Yossi Turk: yes

Rabbi Yossi Turk: its not a holy object like a talit

Jewboy: ok

Jewboy: can i throw out the string from a beged [ed. note: the fringes of Tzitzit]?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: better not to

Jewboy: if i cut them off to put on new strings, what do i do with the old strings?

Rabbi Yossi Turk: ideally they shuld be buried, or some use them as book marks for holy books.

Jewboy: ok

Mitzvot » Tallit and Tzitzit
Daily Life » Clothing » Tallit and Tzitzit

Tzitzit
Literally: the fringes which are attached to four cornered garments, as Biblically mandated. Normally this word refers to a t-shirt sized four cornered garment which contains such fringes, and is usually worn beneath the shirt.
Yarmulka
The head-covering worn by Jewish males. Serves as a constant reminder of the existence of a Higher Being. Also known as a Kippah.