What do we know about the fate of Moses' children?

Can I take off my kipah under certain circumstances.

Library » Daily Life » Clothing » Kippah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

not sure: why do men have to wear a yalkmuka at all times? if one wants to be religious does it have to be worn?

not sure: if its to remind us that G-d is above, is it still needed if one is aware of that even when not wearing one?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: when we wear a reminder on our head that is not because we don't believe so inside. It is to reinforce what we believe, and turn it into an action.

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: in other words, the question would be similar: should someone wear a wedding ring even if they know they love their husband inside?

not sure: can a man be religious if he doesnt wear one?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: what is religious? it is a made up term :-)

not sure: to be religious is to keep the laws of the Torah, most importantly shabbos and Kosher

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: ok -- that is one definition of religous. A more common definiton of religious is someone who follows ALL the laws of Judaism which includes wearing a Kipah. But hey, if you are not ready to wear a kipah, don't let that stop you from eating kosher or keeping Shabbat

not sure: what i want to know is if its as important as the other laws?

not sure: when it comes to laws instituted by the rabbis, are they as important as laws from torah?

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: For most practical purposes a law from the Rabbis needs to be adhered to like a law from the Torah. After all it is the Torah that says follow the laws of the Rabbis. In certain cases a rabbinic law can be more lenient.

not sure: in the case of a yalmuka?

not sure: i wear a yalmuka, but at work and if im in a club i would take it off

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: the question is, if you really love G-d, why would take off the Yarmulka in certain places

not sure: so as not to have pl look at jews in a bad way

not sure: for example, if im at a club its not apropriate

not sure: and at work i dont want to stand out, i dont want to be judged just from wearing a yalmuka

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: if you are in a club its not appropriate?

not sure: not really, so thats why i would take off my kipah

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: are you saying that it is not appropriate for you to be there

not sure: it is not, however i enjoy it and would like to go, so I take of my kipah so pl dont know im jewish

not sure: therefore its no longer not apropriate to be there

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: aha -- so in G-d's eyes it is not appropriate. So you will put G-d (the kipah which reminds you and others that G-d does not want you there) in your pocket, and at the same time you will tell me you don't need the kipah because you love him without it?

not sure: wow, i never thought of it like that

not sure: its needed so as not to be in that situation where u would take it off

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: bingo!

not sure: :)

not sure: thank you

not sure: you really brought some clarity to me

not sure: thank you for your time

not sure: have a wonderful day!

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: my pleasure - and keep doing the right think, you bring clarity to the world

Can I take off my kipah

Posted by: Arnold Kaufman, Cleveland, Ohio, USA on Mar 16, 2009

I found this conversation very interesting because I had the same question several years ago. I found that when I wore a kipah in new places, where I was, in fact, self-conscious about it, I was very aware of my behavior. I felt that by wearing a kipah, I was publicly identifying myself with a group. This then said to me that my behavior would reflect on the larger group due to the perception that I represent the values of Juaism as a whole, and I was careful to act appropriately. Another analogy that I can give that maybe is easier to relate to is that I had the opportunity to drive a friend's antique car to to the shop for repair. He happened to be running for public office and had a campaign sign on the side of the car. I was very aware that my courtesy while driving with this sign would reflect on my friend and his chances of being elected. This is, I beleive, the purpose of the kipah: to continually remind us to act in a way that reflects positively on our fellow Jews.

Wearing a Kippah

Posted by: Larry, Ann Arbor, MI on Mar 16, 2009

I had worn tzitzis for 7-8 years without a kippah (except at home and in shul of course), because I also did not want to bring attention to myself. However, I started wearing my kippah all the time about three years ago and found that I made an extra effort at maintaining good behavior and midos, specifically because of that "extra attention". Just as bad behavior will reflect on Am Yisroel- acts of kindness, good business dealings and friendliness will also reflect, positively.

Best of AskMoses » Jewish Identity

Kipah
(pl. Kipot). The head-covering worn by Jewish males. Serves as a constant reminder of the existence of a Higher Being.
Yarmulka
The head-covering worn by Jewish males. Serves as a constant reminder of the existence of a Higher Being. Also known as a Kippah.