Why is chametz only forbidden on Passover?

May a woman wear a Kipah?

Library » Daily Life » Clothing » Kippah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I understand that it is not required for women to wear a Kipah, but is it frowned upon? is it acceptable for a woman to be seen wearing one? I was raised an atheist, and I wish to wear one to be reminded of G-d's presence. Is that offensive?

Answer:

Generally speaking there is no Jewish law prohibiting a woman from wearing a Kipah if she is wearing it in order to feel closer to G-d. Some individuals may frown upon it, but Judaism per se has no problem with it.*

Judaism will only have a problem if you become content with that as your reminder for G-d. Why? Because as a self initiated act it is obviously meaningful to you, but does it contain objective meaning? Is it meaningful for G-d? We can only guess.

Light Shabbat candles. Keep Kosher. Give charity every day. Those are things that will not only remind you of G-d's presence, but they will delight G-d with your presence.
I, for example, like Buffalo wings. I also love my wife. In an expression of my love I might pick up some buffalo wings for my wife on my way home from work. It's a gamble: it might be meaningful to her, it might not. I like them, but does she? If, however, she asked me to pick up milk, I can rest assured it will delight her to see me come home with a bottle of milk. 

Light Shabbat candles. Keep Kosher. Give charity every day. Those are things that will not only remind you of G-d's presence, but they will delight G-d with your presence. These are actions that will not only demonstrate your liking of G-d, but will cause G-d to be proud of you too.

[Ed note: A Kipah certainly does not suffice for the necessary woman’s hair covering].

See also "Why do Jews wear a Kipah?" and "Why don’t women wear Kipahs?"  

*It is questionable whether a Kipah is a man’s garment and thus would fall under the prohibition for a woman to wear a manly garment. However, this is not a clear cut issue. Askmoses.com serves as an educational website offering general Jewish education, and we can’t make specific Halachic rulings. If you are a woman and want to wear a Kipah please consult with your local Rov.

Halachic
Pertaining to Jewish Law.
Kipah
(pl. Kipot). The head-covering worn by Jewish males. Serves as a constant reminder of the existence of a Higher Being.