How is following the restrictive rules of the Torah "freedom"?

Do you know the origin of the Kipah or Yarmulkah?

by Mrs. Yehudis Cohen

Library » Daily Life » Clothing » Kippah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

I don't know when it first started, but there is a story in the Talmud about a rabbi who ate a fruit that was not his and he said that he had made this error because he did not have a head covering to remind him of heaven above.

The word "Yarmulka" comes from the Aramaic "Yarei Malka," Fear of the King.

It is a very ancient custom which has become accepted practice among Jews. The Shulchan Aruch (Code of Jewish Law) rules that a male may not even sit without a head-covering.

TAGS: Kipah, Yarmulkah

Rabbi Nachman

Posted by: x ben x on Nov 13, 2006

I believe that the Talmudic rabbi in question is Rabbi Nachman (not to be confused with Rabbi Nachman of Breslov).

Correct; see Talmud - Shabbat 156b for the complete story.
Yarmulka
The head-covering worn by Jewish males. Serves as a constant reminder of the existence of a Higher Being. Also known as a Kippah.