For the Omer why do we count the days past and not days to come?

Why do the Jews wear yarmulkes (kipah)?

by Rabbi Yossi Marcus

Library » Daily Life » Clothing » Kippah | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Yarmulkes are head-coverings, also known as beanies. One who wears a Yarmulke is in effect saying that reality does not begin with me—there is something above, a Higher Power. Hence its name, “yarmulke,” which is a contraction of “yarei malka,” which means awe of the King. It is a symbol of humility and submission to the Divine.

Hence its name, “yarmulke,” which is a contraction of “yarei malka,” which means awe of the King. It is a symbol of humility and submission to the Divine.
Technically, you can use anything to cover your head—baseball cap, pillowcase, etc. Even those who don’t wear a yarmulke all the time, will generally wear it when praying or studying Torah.

It is also known as “Kipah,” which means “dome.”

See also: What is the spiritual reason why married Jewish women cover their hair?

TAGS: kipah

Kipah
(pl. Kipot). The head-covering worn by Jewish males. Serves as a constant reminder of the existence of a Higher Being.
Yarmulke
The head-covering worn by Jewish males. Serves as a constant reminder of the existence of a Higher Being. Also known as a Kippah.