Which activities are forbidden on the Shabbat, but permitted on Yom Tov?

Where does the Torah prohibit Intermarriage?

Library » Jewish Identity » Non-Jews » Intermarriage | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I never realized it was against Jewish law to marry outside the religion - I went to hebrew school for 12 years and never learned that in the old testament or the Torah?

Answer:

It is unfortunate that your educators shortchanged you. Fortunately you now have the opportunity to learn on your own. 

In the Torah it is written: "You shall not intermarry with them; you shall not give your daughter to his son, and you shall not take his daughter for your son".1

In the Prophets it is written: "And that we shall not give our daughters to the peoples of the land, and we shall not take their daughters for our sons."2

In Jewish Law it is written: "The Torah forbids a Jew to enter a marital relationship with a non-Jew; be it a Jewish man to a non-Jewish women, or a Jewish woman to a non-Jewish man".3

It is evident (both in theory, and statistically) that when Jews marry non-Jews it is unlikely for there to be Jewish continuity. The Torah is a "realist". Thus, as part of its mission to guide Jews in perpetuating Judaism, the Torah prohibits intermarriage.

See also Why is it important for a Jew to marry another Jew?

• 1. Deuteronomy 7:3
  • 2. Nehemiah 10:31
  • 3. Maimonidies laws of Forbidden Relationships 12:1

Life Cycle » Marriage » Intermarriage