What should I do with all my Chametz?

Why do people “purchase” a letter in a Torah scroll?

Library » Torah » The Bible » About | Subscribe | What is RSS?

There is a Torah obligation for every Jew to write a Torah scroll.1 A person who lacks scribal experience can commission an expert scribe to write on his behalf. Most cannot afford such a luxury, and the communal Torah scrolls in the synagogue cover the entire congregation. Preferably, however, one should “purchase a letter” in a Torah Scroll which is being written. The cost is very reasonable and can be done online. Be sure to buy one for every member of your family.

• 1. Deuteronomy 31:19.