Why is it forbidden to eat cow meat with goat milk?

Life With the Rich and Famous

by Mrs. Miriam Karp

Library » Philosophy » Character | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Bulgarian born and Israeli raised Molly Resnick moved to Manhattan in 1972 to seek her fortune in the communications industry. She landed a coveted position at NBC news as producer of the only daily interview show in New York "Five Minutes With &..". "As the 'gate-keeper,' I decided who was to be featured on the TV show- Menachem Begin, Henry Kissinger, President Carter, Dr. Spock, Gregory Peck, Sofia Loren, kings, prime ministers, prima ballerinas, the who's who of the political, art and literary world."

Molly enjoyed her enviable position, but after years of encountering celebrities, her bubble burst. "Once, during a difficult interaction with an agent for a certain celebrity, I suddenly saw these glamour people in a different light. The superstar was just a pawn in the hands of his managers, and couldn't venture an opinion about his own life. It hit me that being rich and famous didn't mean you found the key to happiness or had common sense. In real life, they were only human with all the normal weaknesses and frailties."

Molly took a leave of absence to embark on a worldwide search for spirit and meaning. She assembled a travel itinerary and letters of recommendation from her celebrity friends, even an introduction to Marlon Brando, in his private island in the Pacific Ocean.

On a jaunt to Rio she had a critical encounter with the Chief Rabbi, the late Yerachmiel Blumenfield, who invited Molly to Shabbat dinner. In spite of her agnostic skepticism, Molly was persuaded to light Shabbat candles, and she became mesmerized by the beauty and intelligence of the rabbi's daughter Chana, who showed Molly a photo of her obviously religious fiancé, bearded and black-hatted. Molly's response was one of incredulity "How can you tell him apart? They all look the same! You don't want to spend the rest of your life being pregnant every year, cooking chicken soup and praying behind a curtain," she decried, "Come I'll help you run away!" She offered the young bride to be.

For three days the sophisticated producer bombarded Chana with questions about observant life. Why this? How come that?
Chana insisted that she happily and freely chose this lifestyle. This was hard for Molly to digest. "She picked me up the next day and I called out, "You mean they let you go out and drive? Aren't they afraid you'll run away?" For three days the sophisticated producer bombarded Chana with questions about observant life. Why this? How come that?

As a political science student Molly was enamored with the American Constitution. "To me it was the epitome of justice and wisdom. I then realized that the Torah, my people's 'Constitution' was not just 200, but thousands of years old. I had dabbled in every 'ism' - Hinduism, Buddhism, you -name-it, but I knew so little about my own heritage."

"It was like falling in love. I had finally found the answer and meaning. I realized that our world had a G-d and purpose." Molly returned to New York ready to learn and grow with Judaism. "I gave up the 5 things I loved most- shrimp, lobster, pork, (non-Kosher) caviar and champagne, and lit Shabbat candles regularly."

Lubavitcher
One who follows the teachings of the Chassidic group which was formerly based in the Belarus village of Lubavitch. Today, the movement is based in Brooklyn, New York with branches worldwide. The Lubavitch movement is also widely known as "Chabad."
Chol Hamoed
(lit. "mundane [days] of the festival"), the intermediate days of the Festivals of Passover and Sukkot. On these days many of the holiday work restrictions are lifted.