Is a non-verbal promise considered binding?

Is it okay to eat only fish and dairy in a non-kosher restaurant?

Library » Mitzvot » Kosher » About | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

I usually eat out in non-Kosher restaurants but I’m careful when I order—basically I only eat dairy and fish. Last night I tasted something different in the sauce. It was meat. I feel very guilty. Is there anything I can do about this besides the obvious of not eating out?

Answer:

Eat out in Kosher restaurants!

Without having a reliable supervision in the kitchen of a restaurant it is impossible to be sure what you’re eating is Kosher. (See Why do non-meat products need kosher certification?

Going to Kosher restaurants, even if there are fewer or they are not as good, still allows you the joys of eating out, with the peace of mind and gladness of soul that you are eating what G-d would serve.

For a directory of Kosher restaurants go to shamash.org/kosher.1 

• 1. AskMoses offers this external link as a service, but takes no responsibility for the Kashrut of the establishments listed on this site.