Who is obligated to arrange a Jewish child's circumcision?

Kosher Kid

by Mr. Michael R. Medved

Library » Mitzvot » Kosher » About | Subscribe | What is RSS?

A few weeks ago, my six-year-old daughter did something that greatly upset one of my professional colleagues. At the same time, it made her father enormously proud.

It happened when I took her to a television taping. While I answered questions, my daughter chatted with the show’s associate producer, a bright, capable TV veteran I’ve known for nearly a decade. This producer seemed especially delighted; she fussed and cooed over Sarah’s hair, ribbons and frilly dress, then brought her colored pens, blank paper, and glasses of orange juice.

When I finished my interview, I saw that my daughter had also received a large imported chocolate bar in a gold foil wrapping. “Daddy, look what Cindy gave to me!” she said proudly. “But I didn’t open it because I think maybe it’s not Kosher. Will you look and see if it’s okay?”

Our children have lived all their lives in a kosher home, and they know that unfamiliar products should be checked for the recognized insignia that certifies that all ingredients conform to Jewish dietary law.

My daughter was hoping against hope that I’d detect some excuse in the fine print on the wrapper that she hadn’t been able to find, but the absence of any visible certification created a problem. “I’m sorry, Sarah,” I said, handing it back to her after a careful search. “I just don’t see any kosher mark.”

My six-year-old looked crestfallen for just a moment, but quickly recovered and bravely passed the bar back to the lady who had given it to her. "Thank you," she said with a shy smile, "I'm sorry I can't eat it."
My six-year-old looked crestfallen for just a moment, but quickly recovered and bravely passed the bar back to the lady who had given it to her. “Thank you,” she said with a shy smile, “I’m sorry I can’t eat it.”

The episode might have ended here, except that Cindy felt it deserved further discussion. “I can’t believe what I just saw!” she exploded and went on to berate me—and, by implication, my wife—for destroying Sarah’s sense of fun and spontaneity, encouraging compulsive behavior and contaminating our kid with fearful and superstitious ideas. She found it “scary” that the kid gave up a piece of candy she obviously relished.

The Kosher Kid

Posted by: Stanley Sigal, Walnut, CA, 91789 on Apr 29, 2007

A Yasher Koach to Michael Medved and his Daughter for one of the most encouraging messages of the younger generation Judaism is AND will be in good shape

Philosophy » Character

Sarah
First Jewess, first of the four Jewish Matriarchs, wife of Abraham--the first Jew. Lived in Mesopotamia, and then Canaan, in the 19th century BCE.