Why would G-d put someone into a situation where he can't fulfill his potential?

Is "kosher style" good enough, as long as I don't mix milk and meat?

by Mrs. Dinka Kumer

Library » Mitzvot » Kosher » About | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Say 'no' to faux.

If your corned beef sandwich on rye with dill pickles does not have qualified certification as being Kosher, then it just does not cut the mustard, even if a rabbi blesses it a thousand times!

G-d gave us specific rules about what is kosher, and what is not. Not eating pork and not mixing dairy and meat are two of the basic rules, but there are many, many more details. Meat must be ritually slaughtered, salted and rinsed. Many foods must be inspected for insects. Only certain kinds of fish are kosher. And these are only a few examples!

Another major requirement for the kosher consumer is qualified supervision. This means that every food product on the market must be checked to ascertain that it does not have any non-kosher additives — these days, who understands what half the ingredients are anyway! This inspection is performed by properly trained individuals whose expertise is in identifying kosher and non-kosher foods. Even vegetarian, vegan, and organic food products must have reliable rabbinic supervision. Supervision also exists in kosher restaurants to guarantee that everything on the menu is 100% kosher.

While 'kosher style' may look and even taste the same, it does not have the same spiritual ingredient called 'kosher,' and is prohibited. 'Kosher style' has to do with the physical aspects of a food—look, smell, texture, taste. 'Kosher' has to do with the spiritual side of food—permitted or forbidden.

A cubic zirconium may shine like a diamond, but we know that it's worth much less. With kosher foods, the difference between faux and authentic is incomparable. Only authentically kosher foods make us spiritually healthy and wealthy, affecting us in an eternal way—kosher…"is forever."

See also How do I know if it is Kosher? & What are all those kosher symbols?