If getting drunk is inappropriate, why is it a Mitzvah to get drunk on Purim?

Are raw fruit and vegetables automatically kosher?

Library » Mitzvot » Kosher » Miscellaneous | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Shlomo: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind?

b: i have a question about Kashrut

Rabbi Shlomo: ok

b: would a diet of raw fruits, vegetables, and nuts be automatically Kosher, halackically speaking?

Rabbi Shlomo: there are a couple of concerns, but for the most part it would be kosher...

b: what would be those concerns?

Rabbi Shlomo: the concerns are: 1) Insects. Insects are not kosher, and many fruits and vegitables need to be carefully examined to be clean of insects. 2) Orlah. Orlah means you cannot eat the fruit from the first 3 (4) years of the tree. 3) If the fruit/vegi is from Israel you would have the additional concerns of Tithes and Shmittah (Sabbatical) years

Rabbi Shlomo: Also, I know you said raw but I want to reiterate that this only applies to raw fruits/vegis (this is especially important when it comes to nuts, since many are roasted etc)

b: ok

b: but other than these things

Rabbi Shlomo: other than that it is kosher

b: what if it is eaten off of plates that one is not sure are kosher

Rabbi Shlomo: now we are entering another realm - the realm of dishes, or other food prep

b: right

Rabbi Shlomo: so any time you prepare (cook) a kosher item in non-Kosher utensils/ovens you raise problems, usually making the kosher item unkosher.

b: right, but what if no heat is involved

Rabbi Shlomo: As far as utensils, if you put cold kosher food on a cold and clean non-Kosher plate/cup, the food remains kosher. However it is not something you should do (or make a habit out of)

b: thank you

b: this answers all my questions

Rabbi Shlomo: my pleasure

Kashrut
Laws of Kosher (Jewish dietary laws).