Which food-utensils must be immersed in the Mikvah?

Why does one receiving an aliyah stand at the bimah until the next aliyah is over?

by Rabbi Simcha Bart

Library » Shabbat » Reading of the Torah » Torah Reading | Subscribe | What is RSS?

It wouldn’t be very respectful to flee the Torah’s presence the moment we’re done with the Aliyah. “I really enjoyed the experience, but I have an important conversation to get back to. See ya next time!”

We therefore wait until the next person recites the opening blessing of his aliyah. However, we don’t want to miss any part of the Torah reading while making our way back to our seat, so we wait until the portion of the Torah reading is over before making a graceful exit.1

• 1. Source: Magen Avraham s.k. 8 on Orach Chaim 141.

Aliyah
Literally means to rise up. Has two popular meanings: 1. Being called up to the Torah scroll and recite the blessings when the Torah is being read. 2. To emigrate to the Holy Land.