What are my rights if an intruder breaks into my home?

What determines the section of the Torah read every Shabbat and on holidays?

Library » Shabbat » Reading of the Torah » Torah Reading | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Moses instituted that a portion of the Torah be read publicly on every Shabbat. For this purpose the Torah was divided into 54 portions and every Shabbat one (sometimes two) portions are read. We conclude the Torah every year on the holiday of Simchat Torah and the next Shabbat we start again.

For the most part, holiday readings focus on Torah sections that refer to that holiday, its observances, and its offerings.

You may also want to read more about "Anything different about the High Holiday Torah readings?" .

Holidays » General Information » Holiday Information

Simchat Torah
An extremely joyous one-day autumn festival following the holiday of Sukkot. In Israel it is the eighth day of Sukkot, outside of Israel it is celebrated the next day, the day after Shmini Atzeret. Every Sabbath we read a portion of the Torah. On this holiday we celebrate the completion of the yearly cycle.