What is Judaism?

What does the holiday of Sukkot commemorate?

Library » Holidays » Sukkot » Season of Rejoicing | Subscribe | What is RSS?

“But on the fifteenth day of the seventh month [the month of Tishrei], when you gather in the produce of the land, you shall celebrate the festival of the L-rd for a seven day period... and you shall rejoice before the L-rd your G-d for a seven day period... For a seven day period you shall live in booths. Every resident among the Israelites shall live in booths, in order that your [ensuing] generations should know that I had the children of Israel live in booths when I took them out of the land of Egypt” (Leviticus 23:39-43).

According to some, the Sukkah commemorates the actual booths which the Jews erected in the Sinai Desert to protect themselves against the elements. We remember that we spent forty years in a desert without the most rudimentary human necessity – permanent housing - and yet G-d provided for all our needs and we lacked nothing. The more commonly accepted Midrashic approach, however, is that [the Torah uses the word “booths” euphemistically, and] the sukkah actually commemorates the miraculous Clouds of Glory which encircled and sheltered the Jews during their sojourn in the desert.

Tishrei
The seventh month of the Jewish calendar. This month, which arrives in early autumn, has more holidays than any other month: Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot and Simchat Torah.
Sukkah
The temporary structure in which we are required to dwell for the duration of the holiday of Sukkot. The Sukkah must have at least three walls and its roof consists of unsecured branches, twigs or wooden slats.
Leviticus
The third of the Five Books of Moses. This book deals with the service (of the Levite Tribe) in the Tabernacle, and contains many of the 613 commandments.