When can I tell people I am pregnant?

How do I add extra holiness to the labor and delivery?

by

circumcision.net

Library » Life Cycle » Birth » The Laws | Subscribe | What is RSS?

According to Kabbalah, it is customary to have a copy of Psalm 121 in the delivery room during labor and at the time of birth. These holy passages arouse G-d's mercy for an easy birth and delivery. Please click here for a link to the Psalm.

A child's Jewish education begins at birth
Another reason given for this custom is that in this way a child's Jewish education begins at birth. The first images the child is surrounded with are Jewish holy objects. Later, these holy verses are placed within the baby's crib (in a safe manner), on the doorway to the baby's bedroom, and on the front door of the home.

Beautiful posters and artwork incorporating Jewish themes are available at Judaic stores or online. One can keep this in mind when decorating the nursery.

Copied with permission from www.circumcision.net.

Life Cycle » Birth
Mitzvot » Education
Torah » Education

Kabbalah
Jewish mysticism. The word Kaballah means "reception," for we cannot physically perceive the Divine, we merely study the mystical truths which were transmitted to us by G-d Himself through His righteous servants.