What are the Mothers, Doubles and Elementals of the alphabet in Kabbalah?

Why do people place the "Shir Hamaalot" Psalm near a baby's crib?

by

Circumcision.net

Library » Life Cycle » Birth » The Laws | Subscribe | What is RSS?

According to Kabbalah, it is beneficial to have a copy of Psalm 121 in the delivery room during labor and at the time of birth. These holy passages arouse G-d's mercy for an easy birth and delivery. Please click here for a copy of the Psalm.

Another reason given for this custom is that in this way a child's Jewish education begins at birth. The first images the child is surrounded with are holy objects. Later, these holy verses are placed within the baby's crib (in a safe manner), on the doorway to the baby's bedroom, and on the front door of the home.

This way a child's Jewish education begins at birth. The first images the child is surrounded with are holy objects
Psalms 121:
A Song of Ascents. I lift my eyes to the mountains - from where will my help come? My help will come from the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot falter; your guardian does not slumber. Indeed, the Guardian of Israel neither slumber nor sleeps. The lord is your guardian; the Lord is your protective shade at your right hand. The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The lord will guard you from all evil; He will guard your soul. The Lord will guard your going and your coming from now for all time.

Copied with permission from www.circumcision.net.

Kabbalah
Jewish mysticism. The word Kaballah means "reception," for we cannot physically perceive the Divine, we merely study the mystical truths which were transmitted to us by G-d Himself through His righteous servants.
Psalms
The Book of Psalms. One of the 24 books of the Bible. Compiled by King David; mostly comprised of poetic praise for G-d. A large part of our prayers are culled from this book.