Why are we not supposed to cook less than three eggs at a time?

Why is a child circumcised on the eighth day of his life?

Library » Life Cycle » Circumcision » The Brit | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Mrs. Shulamit Tilles: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind?

peanut: Hi.

peanut: Why is a child circumcised on the eighth day of his life? Is there a special reason for this?

Mrs. Shulamit Tilles: Eight is a super-natural number.

peanut: What do you mean?

Mrs. Shulamit Tilles: Circumcision is a special Mitzvah which connects a Jew with G-d, and this connection is above and beyond the natural order of the world.

peanut: Why is eight a super-natural number?

Mrs. Shulamit Tilles: Since the world was created in seven days, so seven is a number which represents the natural order of the world. Eight is one above that.

peanut: Toda raba.

Click here to read more reasons for "Why is a child circumcised on the eighth day of his life?".