Why is the stove covered with a sheet of hard aluminum on Shabbat?

May I say Kaddish even if I am not part of a minyan?

Library » Life Cycle » Death » Yahrtzeit | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Question:

If there is not enough men for a Minyan, I can't say Kaddish. Does this mean the G-d won't listen to my Kaddish if I say it without a minyan? --MinyanMan

Answer:

Kaddish is a spiritual prescription for an elevation of the soul.

Like any abused prescription, not only doesn't it help, it actually hinders. When we say Kaddish in its prescribed manner we do tremendous good. When one can't live up to the prescribed requirements, one should ask someone else to say Kaddish with a Minyan on their behalf.

There is a Kaddish service that will designate someone to say Kaddish in honor of a departed loved one. Check it out at www.saykaddish.com

Mitzvot » Prayer
Life Cycle » Death » Mourning
Daily Life » Prayer
Mitzvot » Prayer » Laws and Customs

Kaddish
A prayer sanctifying G-d's name which is sprinkled throughout the daily prayers and is recited by the leader of the services. This prayer is also recited by mourners during the first year of mourning, and on the anniversary of the death.
Minyan
A quorum consisting of ten adult male Jews. A minyan is necessary to recite the kaddish or to publicly read from the Torah scroll.