What caused Moses' speech impediment?

Why should I pray when I'm not motivated?

Library » Mitzvot » Prayer » I'd love to pray, but... | Subscribe | What is RSS?

Rabbi Shlomo: Welcome. I'll be with you in a moment...what's on your mind?

Dave: Davening

Dave: i have no interest or patience 2 Daven

Rabbi Shlomo: Only one aspect of prayer is your desire to pray. The other aspect of prayer is G-d's desire for your prayer. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for Him.

Dave: y do it 4 him?

Dave: and eventually just doing it out of habit cuz thats how ur brought up and told what 2 do doesnt work anymore

Rabbi Shlomo: do you ever want Him to do things for You?

Rabbi Shlomo: I didn't say you should do it out of habit! G-d forbid!

Rabbi Shlomo: I am saying you should do it with thought and enthusiasm - picture this: every morning G-d calls you up and says, can you do me a personal favor, take a half hour of your time and read to me

Dave: but it doesnt mean anything 2 me

Rabbi Shlomo: the words might not mean anythign to you (and will get to that), but that fact that G-d is asking you to talk to him doesn't either mean anything to you?

Dave: i dont love Hashem that much 2 do smthng which has no meaning 2 me

Rabbi Shlomo: so what you are saying is you can only do things if YOU Like it, but you can't do something for Him if He likes it?

Dave: ok..i get it...i understand that Hashem wants me 2 daven 2 him so i need help making it mean smthng

Rabbi Shlomo: ok - now that is a much better perspective

Rabbi Shlomo: so the first step in making it mean something is to realize what you are doing. What you are doing is entering a private meeting with Hashem and He is waiting to hear your voice. Imagine the President of the USA called you every morning and asked you to come to the White House to read something for him

Dave: also though i get y Hashem wants us in the general sense 2 daven but me specifically?

Rabbi Shlomo: he Loves you!

Rabbi Shlomo: You give Him a certain love that no one else in the WORLD can give Him

Dave: not gonna get in2 that one :)

Dave: dont ask

Rabbi Shlomo: well, it is a fact whether you want to get into it or nt

Rabbi Shlomo: the bottom line is if you didn't offer Hashem something unique He would have no reason to create you

Rabbi Shlomo: the very fact that you are alive is testimony that you can provide Hashem with something that no one else can

Dave: me, personally talking 2 Him gives Him love?

Rabbi Shlomo: It gives Him pleasure - because He loves you. And when you love someone, you love when they talk to you

Dave: i know that as an orthodox jew who went through 6 years of yeshivah education should believe that but its just so hard 2 really believe that G-d's day was made better cuz i talked 2 him for 10 minutes in the morning

Rabbi Shlomo: sure it is hard to believe. It is hard to realize the impact of our actions when we don't think about them, and when we don't think about why we are here in teh first place.

Rabbi Shlomo: but if we spend time every day thinking about why we are alive, what brought us to where we are, and how siginificant our every action is, we don't need to "believe" anymore, because we understand and see it

Rabbi Shlomo: I have to go now - think about it, and come again

Dave: thanx 4 ur time

Hashem
"The Name." Out of respect, we do not explicitly mention G-d's name, unless in the course of prayer. Instead, "Hashem" is substituted.
Daven
(Yiddish) Pray.
Davening
(Yiddish) Praying.